Sunday, September 18, 2011

What equipment is needed to be installed in order to be approved for a GPS approach?

The only thing that I know for sure is that your FMS must be approved for GPS approaches. I thought that you also need some kind of annunciator in the cockpit telling you that the GPS has gone into the more precise approach mode. I fly a Lear 55C with dual UNS 1-Ds.|||To my knowledge, one approved GPS unit (UNS FMS is fine). I fly the Citation XL with 1-Cs. The vital thing is that you have RAIM facility at APPR availabilty upon the commencement of the approach. I believe if you select DATA and then NEXT, it should bring up RAIM PREDICT as an option in one of the DATA screens, and you can select any time for the RAIM to predict the availabilty. There should be an annunciator that tells you that you are on a GPS APPR. On the XL, it is the only time the FD is in LNAV and VNAV mode with APPR Annunciated. Let me know if you need any more help (or query RAIM) - Lizard2J@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment