Sunday, September 18, 2011

How do I convert these GPS coordinates to a different format?

I am trying to find an oil field in the middle of nowhere. The active rig database gives a current location of SWSE 19-155N-90W. I am trying to put it into google maps but it cant read it. I looked up GPS coordinates and they don't look anything like it. So I am wondering how to read this?|||Those coordinates could be 19 Degrees 15.5 Minutes North and 90 Degrees West.





19N 90W is in the middle of the Yucatan Pen.|||I guess you're looking for the Precision 630 rig in Mountrail county, North Dakota? What you have is not GPS coordinates. Besides, there's really no such thing as "GPS coordinates"; I think what you mean is latitude %26amp; longitude, to use with your GPS receiver.



Perhaps the coordinates are in Section 19, township 155N, Range 90W. Then go to the SW quad of that section, and the SE sub-quad. A section is about 0.7 miles x 0.7 miles, so a sub-quad should be about 912 feet by 912 feet. That should get you close enough to see it.



Try driving to 48.2258192N, 102.3100413W, and see what's there. The rig should be about 1500 feet east as 400 feet north of that point. But when I check on Google Earth, Section 19 looks like it's all farm land; I don't see anything that looks like an oil rig.



==== (Later)

Got it: Operator is ARSENAL ENERGY USA INC., Well name is BRENLEE 100-19H, coordinates are 48.22693934N, 102.29490783W. Still looks like farm field in Google Earth, but a capped rig could be pretty small.|||Are you sure those are GPS coordinates? Looks more like a map number combined with a Public Land Survey System coordinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment