Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I improve my GPS signal reception?

I have a Garmin GPS. I live in a city with tall buildings and I park in a parking deck. It takes forever for my GPS to start receiving a signal. How can I improve the initial reception of the GPS signal under my circumstances?|||All GPS receivers need a clear path to the satellites and buildings or parking structures will block the signals. Most devices will have a screen that shows the location of the satellites above you and this helps determine where signals are coming from. If the parking deck is open on the sides, parking on a side that has less obstructions to the satellites may allow the signals to reach your GPS faster.|||Buy a more expensive one.|||I have the garmin too. Mine has a plug in the side of the antenna flap to plug in an external antenna. I haven't needed to try it, but I'd say that'd be the first place you should look.|||the antenna would be a great idea. also strategically placed tin-foil also helps reception. my garmin sometimes requires me to take it outside and place it in my upper windshield via the materials included in the box or walk onto the sidewalk to get a signal. (it will navigate with 3 out of the 5 bars) finally call garmin. some units are defective (my 1st one was, it took forever to get a signal)|||You really can improve your GPS Time to First Fix (TTFF) if you install an external GPS antenna and do not use (program) your GPS unit until it acquires GPS signal.


By simply tapping on the GPS signal bar it will show if you have any signal coming through to your GPS unit.


It is best to have some sort of line of sight to the sky for your GPS receiver to work properly, if not, that is what they call limitations and for now there is not much you can do with it.


You can always pre-program a destination, than save it in favorites until your GPS unit acquire GPS signals than use it when it does.


Your GPS accuracy may also be compromise if the GPS signal is bouncing off of the buildings and placing you in a different location than you really are.


The only other thing someone can do if money is no object is to put a GPS re-radiator on top of the roof of your building and amplify the signal in your garage, but that only works till you lose your signal.


Another way you can use your Garmin GPS is to turn off your GPS and program a route and see the route it has to offer, at least this way you will know which way the GPS wish you to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment