Friday, September 23, 2011

What's a good gps for aviation with weather updates?

My dad just got his pilot liscense and wants to get a GPS with weather updates for his plane. I have been going through alot of different systems and am having a hard time finding one specifically geared for aviation with weather updates, I would like to go below $1,000, but if I can't get a good one for that I would be willing to go higher. Also, what are service options for weather updates? I know of XM are there any others?|||For $1,000 your only one in budget is a used Garmin 396. They are great. Has stormscope in it, Radar, cloud cover, radio, lots of very nice features. There are few panel mount systems that cost exponentially more that can do the same thing.|||A lot of my friends use an Ipaq with a bluetooth GPS and a bluetooth XM receiver, that way there aren't many wires in teh cockpit. XM's the only good way I know of to get weather updates. If the weather isn't that important, I'd go with a Garmin 296 or 396 or Lowrance 1000. Get a used one; they're a bit cheaper.|||you better increase your budget, a gps w/ XM wx is going for about $2,800


Garmin GPSMAP庐 496 is what you want.


You are not going to get a aviation gps for $1000


that has the features you desire.





http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore鈥?/a>|||As Cherokeeflyer said, those things are not cheap... I would say that if you are going to go with weather and all, I would think about going all the way with the GPS/XM Weather/ and TCAS...(Traffic Collision Avoidance System)

No comments:

Post a Comment